Monday, October 13, 2008

Why Me?


As far back as I can remember, I have had teeth issues. Luckily for me, it's all in the back of my mouth. I don't understand teeth. They have nerves, yet if you yank them out or have them pulled the pain is gone. What is the point of a nerve in a tooth? Sometimes my teeth hurt so bad I cannot function. It's worse than a migraine. Throbbing pain that pulsates through my whole body. Here's the good news: We found a dentist that needs landscaping! They have numbing medicine and root canal machines and we have Lupe and Juan! It's a win win situation. Please don't take offense to my reference to Lupe and Juan, they are real people and they are GOOD! We have been to the dentist office several times in the last few weeks. Once to get my teeth x-rayed, once to look at their yard and tell them what they should do, and once to sign the bartering contract. I love bartering! Somehow we worked it out with them to do half of my work before we start theirs since we demand half up front to start a job. So here I was today, relaxed in a reclining dental chair, headphones with kiss fm, sunglasses to make it dark and Nitrous Oxide known as "laughing gas". I remember when I was in highschool and they put me on this stuff, I kept randomly laughing. Fully aware of what was going on, it was really embarrasing. So this time around, I told myself "no laughing". And I failed. He asked if I was starting to feel calm and I busted out laughing with a giggly "yes". On the outside I looked like I was having a great time, on the inside I was yelling at myself to shutup and quit laughing! I went through several different feelings with this nitrous stuff. First I felt giddy, then I felt a little nauseas, then I fell asleep for a little while, then I woke up and thought I was going to throw up in the the dentist' face! I quickly pointed at the gas mask and he removed it. I spent the rest of the time focusing on not getting sick. It was terrible. I just wanted to be done. Today I recieved a root canal and two fillings. I swear I brush and floss people. It's hereditary, seriously! I have an uncle, my biological dad's uncle that became a dentist because of all the teeth issues in the family. Unfortunately for me, he lives really far away, oh and I've never met him. Here I am sitting and writing this blog while Brad drives to the store to get me some cookies and cream icecream since my mouth is a little sore. It's kind of nice, maybe I should still be hurting tomorrow too. Did I mention that the doctor prescribed me Vicodin. I've never had that before. I'm a little scared to take it. I might just keep it in my medicine cabinet for emergency stuff.

2 comments:

Zanna said...

I feel ya. I need some serious work on my teeth and scared about it too. Because in my familt their is a disease that is hereditary in the women in my family. My sister has dentures on her top teeth and my mom has some dentures too all by their 20's. I am so scared that will be me too.

Lolly said...

When I have had the laughing gas I always tried to tell myself to not laugh but then every single thing I would think of would be funny to me. So I am sitting in a room laughing without anyone even talking to me! So embarrassing.